Only 10 guests per tour – 2 experienced tour guides
Experience the fascinating centuries-old textile techniques that have made this Indonesian island famous. Tjap and tjanting batik, ikat weaving, indigo and other natural dyes… You’ll meet the artisans and get right in on the design process with hands-on workshops. Imagine 14 days in a textile and tropical paradise! You’re going to love it!
Please note: These are “women only” tours. The tour involves some walking. Guests must be able to walk unassisted, have the stamina to walk three or four blocks at a time and climb a flight of stairs if needed.
These tours are only being offered until Spring 2021…then I’m retiring!
TOUR PRICING: The price for this tour is $4400 US (land only) per person based on shared accommodation. Single supplements (non-shared rooms) are available for an additional $1200 US per person. A deposit of $1500 US is required to secure a place on the tour. The balance is required 90 days before departure. Visa and Mastercard accepted.
Guests on this tour…
Visit a batik factory
You’ll spend a day in a batik factory where you’ll learn how batik fabric is designed. We will possibly enjoy a visit from an artisan who will make a metal tjap (stamp) from an artist’s sketch.
Silk batik painting
Two talented artists demonstrate their special silk painting techniques – even a complete novice will produce a beautiful silk panel that can be framed or used in a garment or quilt.
Visit a traditional weaving village
The knowledgeable staff of Threads of Life will guide us in a trip to a weaving village and show us many samples of traditional ceremonial textiles used by the Balinese in their daily lives.
During this hands-on indigo workshop you’ll manipulate a length of cotton voile and dye it using an indigo vat from the plant source – a technique that has been used traditionally for centuries.
A highlight will be our visit to five fabric shops selling cotton and rayon batiks and hand-dyes at $2.50 US per meter! We’ve also discovered a fabulous silk shop.
If you enjoy delicious food you’ll have fun preparing it the Balinese way. We begin with a guided tour of a traditional food market followed by a fascinating hands-on cooking class in a Balinese family compound setting.
You’ll enjoy some Balinese culture at a dance and music performance in the Ubud Palace. A highlight of the tour will be the guided morning walk through functioning rice paddies.
If we’re lucky, we may see a cremation procession. Balinese believe in reincarnation so cremations are rather happy occasions.
- Explore the history of batik in a popular textile museum with a private collection of historic Indonesian textiles.
- Enjoy a demo by world-reknowned artist/sculptor Jon Stuart Anderson, an American living in Bali. His “spirit animals” can be found in galleries and art shops around the world. His art medium is polymer clay (Fimo). Jon kindly provides a demo of his process and offers his artwork for sale. This video shows Jon at work: http://jonstuartanderson.com/
- Design your own leather jacket, vest, bag, wallet or belt. A talented leather tailor will visit our hotel to take orders (participation is optional). Barb and Ajick have been friends for 19 years.
Included in the tour price:
- 14 nights’ accommodation in beautiful resorts in Ubud (the art center of Bali - inland) and Sanur (Bali’s best-kept secret - on the Indian Ocean).
- All tour activities both scheduled and optional.
- All tour-related transportation in air-conditioned buses or vans with charming, helpful, English-speaking drivers who love to share their homeland with others.
- 25 meals including 14 breakfasts, 8 lunches and 3 dinners (not all meals are included so we can each do our own thing when tour activities end).
- All tour-related gratuities.
Free time has been built into this tour so it is possible to experience other areas of this wonderful island or enjoy Bali’s world-famous spa treatments, relax by the pool or beach, or go shopping. This is a very full and informative tour. A maximum of 10 tour guests and 2 guides provide a personal “once-in-a-lifetime” experience.
This land-only tour is offered for $4400 US per person based on shared accommodation. A single supplement is available for an additional $1200 US per person. A deposit of $1500 US is required to secure a place on the tour. The balance owing is required 90 days before the tour begins.
These tours will be booked on a first-come, first-served basis. Please indicate your sincere interest by contacting us. Barb and her co-leader, Deb, look forward to showing you a unique side to Bali custom-designed for all textile lovers. If you have any questions about the tour itself, please contact Barb at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 250-658-2612 (Pacific time zone).